Wednesday, July 17, 2013

VBS

I have been thinking a lot about VBS and church camp the last few weeks. When I was a kid I went to every VBS at any church that had one. I remember it was typically older ladies who told us bible stories, helped us do some craft that involved Popsicle sticks in some way, and us eating generic Oreo cookies along with red Kool-aid. I remember one of the VBS I went to was in a community outside of town and I got to ride the bus. It was always in the morning from like 9 until noon. I grew up in Keota and with all honesty there was nothing else to do and those 2 or 3 weeks was a big deal.

For the most part VBS was just a diversion. I would love to say that I was a deep thinking from an early age but to be honest I really just liked cookies. That was until the summer of 1984. I remember as the pastor began to speak that year something stirred inside of me. I began to see for the first time I knew I was guilty of sin and that if I died I would go to hell. Out of fear I didn't go forward that day. Fast forward 1 year and I sat in another church listening to another pastor and this time something changed. I stepped forward. Without really knowing or understanding God had started me down the road of sanctification. I knelt with a lady in the church and she lead me to repentance.

I went home that day with a new bible and a desire to tell my Dad what had happened. I remember going to the store where he worked and telling him I had gotten saved. I don't know what I expected him to say but I at least expected the same joy that that lady at church and the pastor had shown. What I heard was "That's good" and then he was back to work.

Fast forward 7 years and you find me at KBA. I was there with Keota First Baptist, a church who had become my home. The pastor at that time Jim Doug Miller had taken me on as his project. He watched out for me and tried to help me grow with God. As I sat on those hard chairs in the heat I heard a pastor saying something that I can still hear today "No Change No Christ" I began to see all that Jim Doug had been trying to show me and got on my knees and told God that if he still wanted that boy he had saved long ago I would do whatever He asked. I decided I wanted to join the church and once again the first person I saw was Dad. His responds to my decision was less than excitement. He actually thought it was a bad idea.

So why do I say all of this? Do I want you to feel sorry for me or think poorly of my father? No not at all. My father accepted Christ at an old age and was a wonderful dad the rest of his days. The reason I mention all of this to show one thing. Kids have and will continue to make eternal decisions over the next week at camp and VBS. Some of these kids may come on buses and not have a believing parent at home. The excitement we show over what they have done may be the only excitement they see.

So here is my challenge to you. If you know a kid that has gotten saved be excited with them. Write them a letter, buy them a gift, give them a hug. All of heaven rejoiced last week at kids camp, a few weeks at VBS in Poteau, this week at youth camp, and I believe the same will happen next week in Pocola. How much more should we rejoice over these lives that have been saved. If you don't know any of them ask Laurie or Carl. Ask Angie or Brandon. Show these kids that they are not alone. If one of these kids is in your home you need to be going nuts. Make a big deal out of something that is a big deal. If you have ever celebrated a baseball game or good grade at school and you don't exceed that celebration over the salvation of your child shame on you.


No comments:

Post a Comment